HND in Engineering (level 5)
The Higher National Diploma qualifications in engineering are designed to develop practical skills alongside specialist knowledge and understanding of the subject area. The HND is a level 5 qualification which is normally taken after a student has completed an HNC in Engineering.
It takes the knowledge the student already has achieved and develops it to a higher level. Unlike many degrees, these HND courses are vocationally focussed and therefore are more relevant to your chosen career. Moreover, they're a great stepping stone up to a higher qualification, as you can convert an HND qualification to a full bachelor's degree, by just completing the 3rd year of a degree course.
- Course content
EEF offers the following pathways for HND in Engineering:
- HND in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- HND in Mechanical Engineering
- HND in Manufacturing Engineering
- HND in Electrical Engineering
Mandatory units for the HND pathways:
- HNC Units in that pathway (if HNC has not already been achieved)
- 8 Specialist units dependent on pathway
You will typically have one of the following:
- A BTEC Level 4 or other Level 4 qualification in a related subject.
- Extensive relevant work experience - mature learners with extensive work experience and/or professional qualifications in a related industry.
The Higher National units are assessed internally. You will be graded for each individual unit with a Pass, Merit or Distinction. You may be assessed in a number of different ways, such as presentations, written reports, log books and practical tasks. Assessment activities have been carefully designed alongside additional self-study/work-place study, outside your taught sessions.
- More details
By completing this course, delegates:
- Will have an understanding of applied mathematics used in a range of scenarios in an engineering environment
- Will have an opportunity to achieve a nationally recognised Level 5 vocationally specific qualification and progress to higher education to enable you to enter employment as an engineer/technician/manager.
- Are eligible to apply for free student membership of IMechE, the recognised body of engineering professionals
- Can progress to BEng degree