Make Business/University of Portsmouth Diploma in Health, Safety & Risk Management
A health & safety diploma leading to Grad IOSH based on coursework.
Our practical diploma is aimed at delegates who are developing their careers in health and safety and wish to eventually obtain Chartered Membership of IOSH. It is developed from a practitioner’s view rather than an academic approach and is underpinned by the reality of business to provide the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to become a proficient health and safety practitioner.
The course is recognised by IOSH and results in immediate attainment of GradIOSH status, which, with the help of your practitioner can lead to Chartered status (CMIOSH).
- Course content
Module 1 – Health & Safety Law (10 Level 6 Credits)
This module provides an introduction to the legal requirements and standards for health, safety and risk management across a wise and varied range of workplaces. Emphasis is upon the interpretation of EU/UK health and safety law and the development of the core legal knowledge and understanding required for the practitioner to provide professional advice on compliance and practical applications in the workplace
Module 2 – Managing Physical Hazards in the Workplace (10 Level 6 Credits)
This module covers safety issues in the workplace with a focus on the technical aspects of hazard management. Common workplace ‘physical’ risks are explored e.g. fire, construction, machinery, electricity and hazardous processes. Related topics such as structural safety and reliability are also addressed. EU/UK legislation and standards are incorporated into the module where relevant.
Module 3 – Managing Health and Hygiene in the Workplace (10 Level 6 Credits)
The principles of occupational health and hygiene recognition, assessment, evaluation and control are developed in detail, to enable students to apply them to biological, chemical, physical, psycho-social agents, and ergonomics risks in ‘real life’ situations. In particular, students will be able to recognise and assess the potential harm from these agents and ergonomic risks, and assess/evaluate appropriate control strategies, including monitoring and review.
Module 4 – Health and Safety Management (10 Level 6 Credits)
This module provides a framework for health and safety management based upon the new ISO45001 standard. Topics addressed include health and safety policy, monitoring, planning and implantation and review. The module also develops practitioner skills such as the capacity to conduct thorough accident investigations, carry out risk assessment using a variety of different tools and make effective presentations to senior management. The module is set in the context of ‘commercial reality’ whereby a student’s ability to present a business case for health and safety is developed.
Module 5 – Risk Management (20 Level 7 Credits)
This module expands the ‘traditional’ scope of the health and safety practitioners’ knowledge and understanding by assessing and evaluating other relevant and related contemporary risks e.g. those associated with security, environment, food hygiene, and product liability. The role of the health and safety practitioner with respect to strategic influence and corporate governance is explored. Analytical skills, team working, and strategic understanding is developed through the use of a case study which requires analysis of the risk issues followed up by a presentation to a mock ‘Board of Directors’ on how the risks can be managed cost effectively.
Entrants must have successfully completed a level 3 qualification such as the Make Business/University of Portsmouth Certificate of Credit in Health & Safety Management or the NEBOSH General Certificate.
The assessments for the programme support the focus on skills and knowledge, with minimal exam based assessments and a focus on project work, oral assessment and assignments:
- Module 1 is assessed by a 2000 word assignment.
- Module 2 is assessed by a 2000 word assignment.
- Module 3 is assessed by a 2000 word assignment.
- Module 4 is assessed by a 2000 word assignment.
- Module 5 is assessed by the Work-based project & a 15 minute presentation.
- More details
Benefits of attending:
Develop the skills and knowledge base to function as a competent health and safety practitioner.
In particular, the Programme will enable you to:
- identify, evaluate and interpret technical information relating to complex risks
- determine the requirements for improved control of complex multiple health and safety risks
- interpret legal health and safety requirements within a UK/EU context and advise on their practical application
- maintain and enhance health and safety systems for managing complex risks
- contribute to and keep pace with improvements in health and safety best practice
- contribute to the promotion of a positive health and safety culture within organisations
- access further opportunities for career progression and further study
Who should attend?
- Health and safety managers, officers and advisers
- Those looking to operate at a senior level within health and safety
By completing this course delegates:
- Can apply for Graduate membership of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (GradIOSH) and then work towards Chartered status – CMIOSH
- Meet the academic requirements for post graduate programme including an MSc