Dismissing Fairly - E-Learning
This e-learning course provides an overview of how to dismiss fairly and act in a lawful manner to help prevent Employment Tribunal claims, particularly in relation to unfair dismissal. It is aimed at line managers and HR executives and will be particularly helpful to those who are new to handling termination of employment.
- Overview of the key elements of a fair and lawful dismissal
- Background and summary of the law relating to unfair dismissal under Employment Rights Act 1996
- What is meant by ‘a dismissal’ and different types of dismissal (e.g. constructive dismissal and wrongful dismissal)
- Potentially fair reasons for dismissal and examples of action which is automatically unfair
- What is meant by acting reasonably and following a fair procedure
- Introduction to the ACAS Code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures
- Role of settlement agreements
- Legal remedies and compensation for unfair dismissal
By completing this course delegates will:
- Understand the key elements of dismissing employees fairly and lawfully
- Be able to identify different types of dismissal
- Know the five potentially fair reasons for dismissal
- Recognise common types of automatically unfair dismissal
- Understand the basic requirements of following a fair dismissal procedure and acting reasonably
- Be aware of the ACAS Code of Practice on Disciplinary and its role in dismissal procedure
- Gain an overview what is required for a valid settlement agreement
- Understand the legal risk and potential remedies that can be awarded by an Employment Tribunal for unfair dismissal claims
Pre-requisitesThere are no pre-requisites for this course
AssessmentBy assessment questions at the end of the course whereby delegates are required to answer 10 questions and will be advised of the results along with ‘areas for revision’ as necessary.
CredentialsThis course can be undertaken by any employee at any time – all that is needed is computer and internet access.
Who are Make UK?
Make UK has been helping companies to keep themselves and their employees safe for over 125 years. We deliver more than 10,000 training days each year and were the very first NEBOSH training partner
Together, we help your business to perform and grow.
Member pricing breakdown
*Member price = £35 + VAT - Member discount applies to Make UK Members, and subscribers to our EHS or HR & Legal support packages (discount applied upon booking)