Essential People Management Skills
Training is tailored to your needs and delivered at your location or ours by Make UK’s highly experienced HR and employment law specialists, with a wealth of experience of legislation and best practice.
This 2 day course is designed to provide managers with knowledge and skill in essential key HR areas from, the beginning of the employment relationship (i.e. Recruitment) to ending that relationship when it is necessary to do so (by reason of misconduct, poor performance or due to absence). It will empower managers and team leaders to confidently handle HR issues themselves but also recognise when they should be escalated within the business.
Recruitment and Selection
- The legal framework
- recruitment sources
- sifting applications
- prohibited questions
- competency based interviewing
- questioning techniques
The importance of Dignity and Respect in the Workplace
- The Equality Act
- protected characteristics
- how discrimination occurs and remedies
- Harassment, bullying and ‘banter’
- Getting the message across
- importance of body language
- key issues when using email/telephone communications
Unfair Dismissal framework
- What is fair and what procedures to follow
- Informal and formal approaches
- employee rights
- witness statements
- handling disciplinary hearings and appeal
- What is a grievance?
- informal and formal approaches to resolution
- how to conduct a formal hearing
- investigating grievances
- possible outcomes
- Measuring performance
- the ‘performance gap’
- providing negative feedback in a positive way
- importance of examples and documentation
- Costs of absence
- how to manage both long and short term absences
- return to work interviews
- importance of medical reports and making them effective
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
There is no assessment but delegates receive a certificate of attendance.
Benefits of attending:
Upon completion of the course, delegates will be able to;
- Respond with confidence to day to day issues as they arise in the workplace
- Make recruitment decisions based upon a fair and objective process
- Manage complaints of bullying and harassment in the workplace
- Recognise when their body language is inconsistent with the message they want to get across and rectify accordingly
- Recognise why procedures are so important when dealing with disciplinary matters and when it is likely to be fair to dismiss an employee
- Recognise a grievance and how to respond accordingly
- Measure performance, recognise any ‘performance gap’ and act to close accordingly
- Manage both short and long term absence effectively and understand the key steps for each
- Know when to escalate matters and/or seek further assistance
Who are Make UK?
Make UK has been helping companies to keep themselves and their employees safe for over 125 years. We deliver more than 10,000 training days each year and were the very first NEBOSH training partner
Together, we help your business to perform and grow.
Member pricing breakdown
*Member price = £595 + VAT - Member discount applies to Make UK Members, and subscribers to our EHS or HR & Legal support packages (discount applied upon booking)