HNC in Engineering (level 4)
These qualifications have been developed to provide a challenging program of study that will enable learners to develop the concepts, knowledge, skills and techniques required for today′s engineering industry. Specialised modules relevant to the engineering industry in which learners are employed, and a platform for a successful career development will be covered also.
Unlike many degrees, these courses are vocationally focussed and therefore develop a range of higher-level skills, techniques and attributes essential for successful performance in working life. Moreover, they're a great stepping stone up to a higher qualification, as you can choose to 'top up' an HND or, convert it to a full bachelor's degree.
- Course content
Make UK offers the following pathways for HNC in Engineering:
- HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- HNC in Mechanical Engineering
- HNC in Manufacturing Engineering
Mandatory units for the HNC pathways:
- Analytical methods for engineers
- Engineering science
- Project design, implementation and evaluation
- Plus 5 specialist modules dependent on your pathway
Progression: HND in Engineering
You must have either of the following:
- An engineering Level 3 or other Level 3 qualification in a related subject with Merits in Maths and Engineering Principles expected.
- A minimum of two A Levels with one in a related subject at Grade C or above
The Higher National units are assessed internally. You will be graded for each individual unit with a Pass, Merit or Distinction. You may be assessed in a number of different ways, such as presentations, written reports, log books and practical tasks. Assessment activities have been carefully designed alongside additional self-study/work-place study, outside your taught sessions.
- More details
By completing this course, delegates:
- Will have an understanding of applied mathematics used in a range of scenarios in an engineering environment
- Will have an opportunity to achieve a nationally recognised Level 4 vocationally specific qualification and progress to higher education to enable you to further your employment as an engineer/technician/manager.
- Are eligible to apply for free student membership of IMechE, the recognised body of engineering professionals
- Can progress to HND or Foundation Degree then BEng degree