NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
The NEBOSH National Diploma in Health & Safety is the flagship NEBOSH qualification that delivers a high level of knowledge and skills for health and safety professionals. The Diploma provides the core health and safety knowledge which, combined with understanding and appropriate application, underpins the competent performance of an occupational health and safety practitioner.
When you study your diploma with us you get additional support to help you derive the greatest value from your professional development with a free place at our HSCE briefings (twice a year) throughout the duration of your study and optional revision days for each module.
- Course content
The unitised structure of this qualification gives the opportunity to study and complete one topic area at time. Its approach promotes the application of the knowledge acquired on the course to problem-solving in the student’s own workplace.
The New NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety comprises four core units:
Unit A: Managing health & safety
- Principles of health & safety management
- Principles of health & safety law
- Criminal law
- Civil law
- Loss causation and evaluation
- Measuring & reviewing health & safety performance
- The assessment & evaluation of risk
- Risk control
- Organisational factors
- Human factors
- The role of the health & safety practitioner
Unit B: Hazardous substances/agents
- Managing occupational health
- Identification, assessment and evaluation of hazardous substances
- The control of hazardous substances
- The monitoring and measuring of hazardous substances
- Biological agents
- Noise and vibration
- Mental ill-health and dealing with violence and aggression at work
- Musculoskeletal risks and controls
- Work environment risks and controls
Unit C: Workplace and work equipment safety
- Workplace welfare
- Fire & explosion
- Fire risk assessment
- Storage, handling & processing of dangerous substances
- Work equipment
- Workplace machinery
- Mobile, lifting access & work at height equipment
- Electrical safety
- Workplace transport
Unit DNI: Workplace-based assignment
The focus of the Unit DNI assignment is for students to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding from their studies in Units A, B and C.
The assessment requires a detailed review and analysis of health and safety performance in the workplace followed up by an action plan to improve performance.
None, but is usual for candidates to have first completed the NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health.
- Each unit is assessed by an examination. The pass mark for each examination is 45%.
- Each candidate is also required to complete the 8,000-word assignment for Unit DNI. The pass mark for Unit DNI is 50% The overall mark is an aggregate of the examination and assignment marks.
- Successful candidates can apply for GradIOSH status from the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health and then work towards Chartered status – CMIOSH
- More details
By completing this course delegates may progress to:
- EEF /Oxford Brookes University MSc/PgDip in health, safety and environmental management.