What is ISO 45001?
Introduced in March 2018, ISO 45001 is the first international standard for occupational health and safety at work. It reflects current safety and risk management trends and provides a framework to proactively improve employee safety, promote physical and mental health, reduce workplace risks and create safer working conditions.
It’s been designed to integrate seamlessly with other ISO management systems standards, including ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
Companies that have OHSAS 18001 will need to migrate to ISO 45001 by 30th September 2021, as that’s when OHSAS 18001 will be withdrawn. It companies do not transition their certification will no longer be valid and the certification process for ISO 45001 would need to be started from the beginning.
The benefits of ISO 45001
According to the International Labour Organization, over 7,600 people die each day from work-related accidents or diseases – that’s over 2.78 million every year.
Having an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system in place provides protection for your organisation and its employees.
- Improve health and safety performance - reduce the risk of work-related injury and ill health
- Improve productivity – reduce employee absence and increase their engagement
- Ensure compliance – with the latest health and safety legislation
- Enhance reputation – with an accredited certification
- Increase ability to win business – provide assurance to customers
- Save money – lower insurance premiums and fewer costs from accidents or ill health
- Enable continuous improvement - with a robust framework and reporting system
Who is ISO 45001 for?
Any organisation that wishes to adopt a modern occupational health and safety management system with a risk-based approach, regardless of size, type or sector, can benefit from ISO 45001.
How can Make UK help?
We provide support and training to help you either migrate from OHSAS 18001 to ISO 45001, implement ISO 45001 or maintain ISO 45001.
Our health and safety experts will work with you, tailoring the solution to what your company needs and building around the internal knowledge and resources you have. We can:
- Audit your compliance to the standard
- Compile your registers of applicable legislation
- Evaluate your legal compliance
- Design and implement a new standard for your business
- Identify gaps in your existing implementation
- Transition you from OHSAS18001
- Manage integration of your certified standards
Get in touch to discuss your requirements
Our training courses cover the key skills needed for certification and maintenance. We offer flexible delivery options to suit your requirements.