A New Deal for Steel: Laying the Foundations for a Vibrant Steel Industry, sets out the significant benefits and opportunities available to the UK through a dynamic and sustainable steel industry.
Steel producers stand ready to invest and innovate here in the UK – all we require from the Government is a partner that shares our vision and can help deliver the right foundations for success. 'A New Deal for Steel' details this ambition and the key actions that will help us deliver it.
In summary, the core actions we are calling for are:
- Secure tariff free access to major markets for UK steel exports
- Deliver competitive electricity prices for UK steel producers in line with those borne by our EU competitors
- Incentivise investment via business rates re-structuring, including the removal of plant and machinery from valuations
- Maximise the economic value to the UK of its public infrastructure investment, by taking a strategic approach to the public procurement of steel
- Boost UK steel R&D by using the £225 million in returned industry levies from the EU Research Fund for Coal and Steel
- Work with industry to develop a more competitive climate change and carbon pricing policy
Download the full document: