Absence management (fit for work) training
This one-day course is designed to provide managers with the skills and confidence required to deal effectively with employee absence, while maintaining a positive and productive working environment. Training is aimed at line managers and supervisors who are involved in the management of, sickness absence in their teams.
This course shows how both short and long-term absences can be managed proactively to promote employee health and wellbeing, boost business performance and reduce financial strain.
- Course content
- Types of absence – difference in approach in managing short and long term absence
- Impact of absence – assessing the cost of absence to the bottom line
- Trigger points – the 'Bradford factor' and other trigger levels for monitoring and managing absence
- Patterns – looking for ‘unacceptable patterns of absence’
- Return to work interviews (RTWI)– how to conduct a thorough and professional RTWI
- Keeping in touch – how to keep in touch and carry out home visits
- Medical reports – achieving focused medical reports
- Using a case management approach - making a case management approach work successfully to prevent the drift into long term absence
- Disability – what is a disability and what is disability discrimination?
- Dismissals – when would a company dismiss for short-term absence or dismiss on the grounds of capability in the case of long-term absence.
- Difficult Cases – understanding how to manage difficult cases, including work related stress or a catastrophic injury or illness
- Support – promoting employee health and wellbeing.
Delegates should print and bring along a copy of their own company’s absence/attendance policy and any other appropriate company guidelines to examine as the course progresses.
There are no pre-requisites for this course.
No assessment but delegates receive a certificate of attendance.
- More details
By completing this course, delegates will:
- Enhance their skills and abilities in dealing with absence management
- Feel more confident about handling sickness absence
- Eeel comfortable conducting return to work Interviews and home visits
- Understand how to manage short term and long term absence
- Understand what a disability is and reasonable adjustments
- Understand the legislation in relation to absence
- Be confident in applying an absence policy in the workplace