Managing ill health, tackling absence, promoting wellbeing
How to effectively manage employees with physical or mental health conditions, minimise the legal risks of tackling sickness absence and promote employee wellbeing.
Drawing on our collective legal, HR and occupational health expertise, this seminar will provide clear, practical guidance on actively managing employee ill health in 2020.
We will also take a practical approach to wellbeing strategies, stripping away the “fluff” and focussing on substance.
- About the seminar
The management of employees with ill health is one of HR’s biggest challenges.
Through case studies, you will learn how to take the lead when an employee presents with a tricky health or absence issue. We will provide you with straightforward, easy to implement strategies to help you actively manage employee ill health issues in your workplace, keeping control of the process.
The seminar takes into account your legal obligations, the needs of your business and the sensitivities involved in managing employee health issues. At the same time, we will show you how your absence management procedures can be balanced, without being compromised, by a sensible, needs-based employee wellbeing programme.Find the answer to these common questions, and more:
Taking the lead by actively managing sickness absence
• What is the best way to tackle absence where an employee always seems to be calling in sick?
• What is the best way to prevent long-term absence from becoming prolonged?
• How can you keep things moving when an employee calls in sick during a disciplinary process?
• When is the right time to dismiss an employee who is off sick? And what are the legal risks?
• How can you tell if an employee is disabled and does it matter?
• When should you make adjustments for employees with physical or mental health issues?
• What adjustments are reasonable?
Handling mental health and stress related problems
• How should you manage employees who suffer from stress or depression?
• Do you need to manage their absence differently from other absence?
• Must you make allowances where poor performance or difficult behaviour relates to a mental health condition?
• Do you have a problem with presenteeism or leavism and how should you address it?
Getting the experts in
• When should you get a medical report?
• How can you ensure you get the right questions answered?
• What should you do if the employee refuses consent?
Updating and modernising your policies
• Are your attendance management and sick pay policies sufficiently agile for today’s challenges?
• Do they drive the right behaviour from managers and employees?
• What are the ‘Dos and ‘Don’ts of pay during reduced hours or phased returns, sick pay and PHI?
• Do you need a Mental Health policy?
Wellbeing strategies with a return on investment for employers and employees
• How do you design a wellbeing strategy with a focus on achievable and effective outcomes?
• How to embed wellbeing strategies into your day to day management of employees with ill health conditions.
- Who should attend
This seminar is suitable for HR professionals, senior line managers and others who manage employees with health conditions, as well as those who are involved in employee wellbeing programmes.
- More details
Take away a set of high quality, up-to-date tools and checklists to help you implement the strategies covered in the seminar.
New Wellbeing Services
From helping you prioritise your Wellbeing initiatives to providing mental and physical health solutions, this unique suite of Wellbeing tools, training and consultancy has been designed to support employers to create a working environment that engages and energises the workforce.
Find out more ...