Health and safety development programme: business and influencing skills
In today’s challenging business environment, where Health and Safety professionals must secure leadership support and workforce engagement, being a SHE expert is not enough. A much more rounded package of skills and competencies is required.
Leadership, influence, gravitas, great communication skills and business acumen are some of the essential attributes of a modern health and safety professional.
This development programme aimed at SHE practitioners will help you to match high levels of health, safety and environmental competence with the ability to effectively create, influence and clearly communicate health and safety strategy in a pragmatic, proportionate and commercial way for business impact.
Course contentBusiness and commercial awareness
Duration: 2 days
This module helps health and safety practitioners develop and present compelling business cases in support of leadership buy-in and investment for SHE programmes and training within their organisation. By appreciating the key drivers of their business, it will enable delegates to view HSE from a commercial perspective enabling HSE practitioners to demonstrate tangibly how investment in health, safety and the environment adds value and becomes an asset to the business’ strategy and success.
- What are the characteristics of a commercially aware person and how does this relate to the role of a SHE practitioner?
- Understanding the wider internal and external environment within which businesses operate including customers, market-dynamics, competitors, suppliers, financial drivers
- Developing your business case for HSE investment and demonstrating the return on profits, growth, productivity etc
- Identifying the impact SHE advice and recommendations may have on the bottom line
Duration: 2 days
People take more notice of you when you increase your presence and gravitas and when you engage, inspire and motivate others to take action.
This module helps SHE practitioners to develop their self-awareness and personal effectiveness skills so that they can lead, persuade, influence and communicate HSE strategy with impact at all levels across the organisation. It is designed to help delegates develop skills which will enable them to gain the support for, and communicate the business case, they developed in first module.
- Awareness of others and self – understanding of how others are thinking, communicating and behaving, self-perception and how others see you.
- Leading health, safety and environment at work – how to engage and involve others to connect with those around you in the promotion and achievement of SHE, powerful persuading and influencing skills, relationship building and networking, building support for your ideas.
- Communicating ideas with confidence and impact – communication systems, projecting the image and impression you want, how to organise your thoughts and deliver them with impact, body language and facial expressions, handling nervousness, dealing with difficult situations, people and conversations.
- At the end of this course, delegates will apply their learning to a work-based scenario by creating and presenting their own health, safety or environmental business case based on a real work place situation.
- Delegates will receive telephone / skype based guidance from a coach to support them with their work.
This programme does not teach the fundamentals and practice of health and safety so delegates should already have a solid foundation in technical health and safety management which they may have gained through completion of a NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent as a minimum.
There is no formal assessment.
Who should attend?
- SHE practitioners and managers who need to develop the skills and competencies required to incorporate commercially-focused, modern health and safety practice into organisation strategy and culture.
- Delegates are likely to already be operating at SHE advisor or manager level with some previous grounding in the technical aspects of HSE which may have been gained through formal training at NEBOSH general certificate level or above.
- Delegates who are aspiring to a career in SHE management but who have no prior formal training in the technical aspects of HSE, should combine this programme with a NEBOSH general certificate or equivalent. Please ask EEF for advice on the best options available.
Benefits of attending:
- Leverage your expertise as a SHE practitioner and reposition yourself and role as a value-adding business partner
- Gain the business perspective which enables you to speak the business language of your stakeholders and present the business case for Health, Safety and Environment with impact
- Understand the impact of behaviours and behavioural safety on business performance
- Undertake cost/benefit analysis for major production/facilities projects focused on HSS
- Build highly productive working relationships and support for HSE at all levels of the organisation
- Leading change management programmes and measuring impact
- Apply skills and techniques to collaborate, influence and deal with challenging conversations, overcome resistance and build commitment to action
- Deliver a tangible business benefit with applied learning via a work-based assignment
- Receive support and guidance to apply learning in your business context from an EEF coaching throughout the programme, between taught sessions
- Accelerate your career as a commercially-focused HSE practitioner
Who are Make UK?
Make UK has been helping companies to keep themselves and their employees safe for over 125 years. We deliver more than 10,000 training days each year and were the very first NEBOSH training partner
Together, we help your business to perform and grow.
Member pricing breakdown
*Member price = £899 + VAT - Member discount applies to Make UK Members, and subscribers to our EHS or HR & Legal support packages (discount applied upon booking)